It’s important to take special care of your skin in the winter. Here are a few things you can do to keep skin moist and healthy all season long…
- Use a humidifier when the air is dry.
- Put moisturizer and oil on your body immediately after bathing.
Create a ritual of applying oils like Body Oxygenant followed by MSRH Corps.
- Wear natural fibers, such as cotton and silk, because they allow your skin to breathe.
- Cover up when the air is dry, to hold moisture in.
- Focus on proper nutrition and drinking plenty of water.
- Avoid things that trigger allergic reactions. Use detergent free of dyes and perfumes.
- Mature and drier skin types should apply and reapply moisturizer to lock in moisture.
- Let’s not forget hands (telltale sign of age). Apply hand cream and cuticle oil often.
- Don’t forget to wear gloves while doing home chores and while outdoors.
- Practice a good skincare regimen:
- Dry skin can happen at any age, but it’s most likely a concern if you’re 50 or older. This is because the glands that make oil for your skin get smaller as you age and produce less. Many popular soaps and cleansers “clean” your skin by removing oil. This strips the skin, which often causes dryness or breakouts to worsen. At Rescue we always recommend a gentle milky cleanser like Lait VIP o2. Use with a washcloth to buff away dry flaky skin and reveal the fresh skin that lies beneath. Washcloths are super gentle on the skin and most importantly, they don’t cost much. 🙂
Once your skin is properly cleansed it is extremely important to balance the pH of your skin. Our favorite product for this step is Lotion P50 1970.During the winter I personally use P50 1970 at night and P50W in the daytime (this gentler formula is fantastic for winter). *A reminder to the health conscious: all Biologique Recherche products are paraben-free and safe to use.
After you’ve applied P50 follow with a hylarounic acid based serum to keep skin plump, hydrated and, yes, looking younger! Babies are born with a high level of hyaluronic acid, which keeps their skin plump and smooth. Unfortunately, the amount of hyaluronic acid in skin diminishes with age, most significantly after age 40. While it may not be possible to maintain perfectly dewy baby-skin, these serums help to restore the skin’s hyaluronic acid content. Applied topically hyaluronic acid increases hydration, improves elasticity, and reverses free radical damage. All skin types, even oily, will benefit from using hyaluronic acid serum. *For those who get injectables it prolongs the plumping effect.
Layer! Winter skincare is like your winter wardrobe, it’s all about layers! I always layer my serums, starting with the lightest texture and finishing with the thickest. Here is my current mix of serums and creams for daytime: Amniotique, Le Grand Serum, Yall o2, Creme Dermo RL, and Fluide VIP O2.
Your evening routine is another story. Winter is time to bust out the big game changers like MBR’s liquid surgery serum, followed by MBR Extraordinary Cream. Mind you I’m over 50 and the names alone provide a feel-good-factor (I’ll take liquid surgery anytime, no pain or risk involved).
For younger gals I suggest Environ’s Cquence 3 serum. It’s packed with peptides, vitamins, and retinol to address antiaging in one simple step.
I also highly recommend keeping the skin challenged by alternating your regimen every other night. Currently I’m alternating MBR Extraordinary cream with BR Le Grand Creme (*available in January).
For a dry skin solution I love Vintners Daughter Active Botanical Serum – a clean beauty favorite of celebrities. It has a loyal following for good reason. This cult product is a powerful sustainably crafted oil that delivers skin all the essentials, moisture, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.
Valmont Regenera II is another winter staple. It’s a rich cream-balm that solves dry skin, lips, cuticles, patches, etc. Love… love… love!
Rescue Spa Facials are always geared to problem solve. Whether it’s dry skin, brown spots, redness, irritation, or inflamed acne, Rescue Facials are always customized to focus on what your skin needs. With the right combination of products and high-tech tools, our estheticians can really create change in the skin over time to help you achieve your greatest complexion.
- Last but not least. Cold weather is the best time to develop healthy rituals and ceremonies. Taking care of my skin is a daily practice.
Create your own magic, have fun in your mini beauty apothecary ….
Light a candle….
Take a bath…
Get cozy in slippers and wrap up in cashmere …..
Practice self love, cultivate wellbeing, sing, dance and feel like a goddess ….
Happy Winter :)))
Rescue Spa Founder,
Environ is a globally recognized professional skincare brand that is built on science. It originated in South Africa and was created by a plastic surgeon who passionately believes in using vitamin A to maintain healthy skin. “Environ skin care products have been formulated to combat and relieve the harmful effects of today’s harsh environmental changes, specifically pollution and ever-increasing doses of radiation from the sun due to the thinning of the protective ozone layer. Added to these are the modern-day effects of social and work stresses and poor diet.”
Having to work with so many vitamin A based products, I truly have fallen in love with the Environ AVST step up system, and I believe, unlike most modern days Retinol and Retin-A products on the market, AVST is gentle enough to introduce to clients with all skin types and conditions ranging from sensitive skin and even rosacea to combo/oily/acneic skin types.
The AVST range gives skin exactly what it needs because of its scientifically researched combination of vitamins A, C, E and antioxidants including rooibos tea, honeybush and specially selected peptides. The step up system helps your skin to become gradually more comfortable by increasing the levels of vitamin A and peptides. You don’t have to be extra careful with it and it will not make you super dry, flaky or sun sensitive like other brands’ vitamin A products. You should use it every night as a moisturizer comfortably but I still would wear a sunscreen every day because simply put it’s a must in my routine and it should be in yours too.
Vitamin A is the only known element that keeps skin healthy and combats aging. It has proven to have the following benefits:
- Promote the skin’s natural moisturizing factor and give it a radiant glow.
- Strengthen the skin’s outer layer to keep it firm.
- Stimulate the production of natural proteins to keep skin looking healthy.
- Support the skin’s immune system and helps prevent breakouts.
- Assists in reducing the development of potential skin cancers.
My skin type is oily and not sensitive so I started on AVST3 and immediately saw a more nourished and radiant skin appearance and a smoother breakout-free skin texture. I love it! If you are sensitive or have rosacea and any kind of easily induced skin irritation, I would start with AVST1 and let the vitamin A do it’s job. My job is my passion and skin is my playground. I enjoy educating my clients and answering all the questions and concerns they might have. Curiosity is highly welcomed in my world. Schedule an appointment or consultation today and let me be your Rescue skin guru.
What It Is: A triple correction anti-aging moisturizer that contains the breakthrough combination of Ferulic Acid + Retinol and a trademark-pending ECG Cellular Complex™ to target the fibroblast cell, visibly improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles at the surface level and beyond.
Why You Need It: The formula provides time-released hydration as the ECG Cellular Complex™, which stands for “Elastin Collagen Growth,” works to strengthen the skin’s own regenerative ability, helping to counteract the visible signs of aging, increase its natural moisture barrier, and restore elasticity to sagging skin.
Healthy looking skin is at the top of every woman’s wishlist. The best way to achieve this is to develop a good skincare routine, it has to be consistent (the biggest problem for most people). If you haven’t already tried our cult all-in-one beauty fix P50 1970 this is the time to do so! At RESCUE we believe in products that work to keep your skin moist, hydrated, and youthful. We offer a full range of active formulas such as: AVST, RETINOL, Intensive Antioxidant Gel, Vitamin C, as well as Hyaluronic Acid, Peptides, Oxygenation, Amino Acids, etc. All of these potent formulas are great collagen boosters that also provide cellular repair. A winter standout product is still Regenera II. I always say it is the richest cream on earth! Provides instant hydration and prevents moisture loss.
Nails As a Fashion Accessory. For a quick fashion update try one of our nail designs as well as Vinylux 1-week nail polish, a healthy alternative to gel nails.
Makeup as skincare. Chantecaille and By Terry are of the very few makeup companies that approach cosmetics as skincare. At RESCUE we like to hear “your skin looks great” rather than “your makeup looks great”. We offer BB & CC creams and tinted moisturizers & foundations that won’t reak havoc on your skin. Schedule a makeup master class with one of our makeup artists to learn how to perfect your look.
- Baume de Rose to keep the dryness at bay.
- Complexe 5 the foundation for all hair types. Did you know that the scalp has build up (eww!)? Detoxing your scalp is essential for a healthy scalp and beautiful hair.
- Make frizz nonexistent with Phytodefrisant. Sans silicone & parabens. Enriched with a botanical plant base.
- Regenera II, as I always say it is the richest cream on earth!
- Body Oxygenant by Biologique Recherche. Oils are big this year. Adding a few drops to your body moisturizer will change the way your body feels in the dead of winter.
- Foot Logix a healing foam for cracked heels and calluses.
- Gin Fizz eau de parfum by Lubin Paris was favored by Grace Kelly. A touch of history with a lasting scent.
- Le Grand Serum. As close to the fountain of youth as a serum can get! Follow with Creme MSRH. Voila! Skincare couture.
- Hydrate. Drink water often it’s amazing what it does for your skin and your entire body, keeping it moist and supple.
- Breathe. Oxygen is crucial for your well-being. Conscious deep breathing just for a few minutes relieves stress, rejuvenates your skin, re-energizes your body.
- Exercise. Find activity that suits you and your lifestyle. Try yoga, pilates, strength training, go for a walk, run, or bike. The benefits are amazing. Releases “feel good” hormones, increases blood flow, and reduces stress.
- 4. Eat sensibly. Focus on fresh complex foods containing proteins, vitamins, vital nutrients, healthy fats (avocado, olive oil) these are the building blocks of skin tissue.
- Get enough sleep. When well rested everything is better: mood, skin, energy.
- Have a hobby & passion. Doing things we love slows down the aging process.
- Beware of sun damage. Staying out of the sun is the most valuable beauty lesson. Always protect yourself with sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, find shade, use skincare containing active ingredients and antioxidants for extra protection.
- RESCUE’s anti-aging mantra. “Everything in moderation”. From how much you eat. How often you exercise. How many laser treatments, facials, injectables, plastic surgery, etc. that you receive. Simplify.
- Smile often! Self confidence and self esteem are at the top of the beauty list.
- Give & share.
Verso is latin and means reverse, as in the backside of a painting or the back view of a dress. It is what is normally hidden underneath, the mirrored view. In a metaphorical sense, you could say it means going your own way, being different. And Verso is a very different kind of skincare.
For one thing, it works. Verso Skincare is proven to make your skin appear younger and healthier. It has a formula that helps the skin cells to mimic how young cells behave. This formula is called Retinol 8, and is 8 times more effective than typical Retinol in the same dosage. It stimulates the skin’s own production of collagen and hyaluronic acid, which can substantially reduce the signs of aging.
HOW IT WORKS
Retinol 8 helps to activate the skin to stimulate its natural production of collagen, reversing the signs of aging, minimize the appearance of pores and discoloration, increasing the skin’s overall condition.
Retinol 8 (Vitamin A complex) is found only in Verso Skincare. Clinically proven with patent pending technology, Retinol 8 is up to 8 times more potent than typical non-prescription Vitamin A. Verso doesn’t promise miraculous results in a few days. It may take a couple of months of regular use for the effects to show, but it works.
Retinol 8 complex is a unique Vitamin A derivative, in combination with a polyphenol extract and vitamin B3. This new Vitamin A derivative has all the typical retinoid effects without causing discomfort, and the polyphenol extract will enhance the effect. Combined, they form this unique patent pending formula.
So for Verso Skincare, reversing also means reversing time.
Here are several simple steps to keep feeling and looking your best all year long…
Reinforce your skincare routine:
- Cleanse twice a day it’s essential for healthy skin.
- Exfoliate. Get rid of old skin to reveal fresh skin cells.
- Try RESCUE favorite Lotion P50 “1970” containing Lactic Acid. Recommended to use twice a day. Or use Valmont ‘s fine grain exfoliant twice a week.
- Stay loyal to retinol. Trends in skincare come and go Vitamin A derivative retinol has been proven to stimulate collagen, reduce wrinkles, and prevent breakouts. WARNING: Do not use retinol before waxing and make sure to wear SPF.
- Moisturize like a pro. Smooth on free radical fighting antioxidant serum, my favorite is DNA Repair by Valmont. Followed by a hydrating moisturizer. I recommend 24 hour cream.
- DIY Facial. Take some time to add a mask to your routine, twice weekly. Rescue cult classic Mask Vivant is like nutrition power pack for the skin. Renewing Pack is our favorite for a skin thirst quencher.
- Protect your skin. Our skin is under constant assault; pollution, UV rays, and the elements. So protect it during the day with an adequate UVA & UVB sunscreen. Making sure you apply a serum underneath, like Fluide VIP O2. You don’t want sunscreen directly on your skin. Also make sure to remove sunscreen at night… you don’t want those chemicals falling asleep with you.
Drink Plenty of Water!
- Dehydrated skin is old looking skin. Boo, who wants that? Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Try an at home Rescue favorite by infusing with lemon & lime or orange, cucumber, and mint.
- Revamp your routine. Keep your blood flowing. Try new classes at yoga. Try new sports like tennis, swimming, or racketball.
- My favorite skin enhancers are avocado, flax seed, chia seeds, nuts, fatty fish (think salmon), berries, lean protein and vegetables.
- Avoid processed foods, white flour, soft drinks, and fast food.
Update your makeup bag.
- Our skin is forever changing what worked previously may not be the best makeup for you going forward. Try different foundation, our RESCUE favorite is the L’Elixir des Glaciers Teint Precieux. It’s like a skincare enhancer with precieux serum and a self adjusting coverage. This is way beyond any bb cream out there.
- Experiment. Try new colors.
- Make sure your eyebrows are beautifully shaped. It looks like this year is still going to be all about brows and lashes. Try Revitalash and Revitabrow for the healthiest, fullest, lashes and brows imaginable.
Update your wardrobe
- This year different patterns and textures work together. Experiment with what’s already in your wardrobe. Dig out some patterns you’d never thought you’d wear together and go for it. Borrow mom’s and grandma’s old clothes for a retro revival. It makes dressing up fun!
Happy New Year to everyone!
Winter is here and so often clients complain of skin that is dry and dull. Their spirit is worn down by winter blues and their skin shows signs of lethargy. So how do I keep my glow you ask? Here it is, inside and out!
First, I start with increasing my colored foods, even if I’m not in the mood. This means eating or drinking more greens, more orange, red and purple. For example a kale salad with beets, orange and red bell peppers, throw in some nuts and you have a party! Two of my favorite local restaurants, Milah and Pure Fare help me keep my diet colorful, especially on the go! Or, my all time favorite is Pangaea Earth Foods, for phyto nutrient packed juices that are fresh, organic and raw! In about a week of incorporating juice supplements into your diet, you will notice a gradual elevation in energy, mood and glowing skin! Promise.
Secondly, I take a Nordic Naturals omega 3, plus D3 supplement daily, this helps with maintaining the skins immune system. It is great for spikes in eczema or psoriasis. Talk to your doctor or nutritionist to see if omega 3’s could benefit you!
Next, you got it , P50 by Biologique Recherche! This product exfoliates, hydrates and evens out skin tone, giving you back that luster. Here’s a little secret, sometimes in winter if my skin is feeling exceptionally sensitive, I dilute my cotton round with a little water to make the sting a little less intense. It’s a great way to ease the P50 bite during harsh winter months.
Then, of course you must serum! Serums are equivalent of taking a supplement or vitamin, but on the face. Sometimes, your moisturizer simply can’t do it all. Serums can either go on top of, or underneath of your moisturizer. Currently I am using Infinite Radiance Essence by Valmont. Ask your esthetician today for suggestions on a serum that’s right for you, mention this blog post and receive 10% off your next serum purchase, or use promo code TIRZAH on shoprescuespa.com for 10% off on your serum purchase.
Finally, I have two products that are truly essential to maintaining my glow in the winter, first, for my face it’s my Bare Minerals All-over Face color. This is a magical loose powder that I typically use everyday. It has a luminescent quality, great for sensitive skin types, and lightly conceals skin imperfections with out that heavy foundation feel. It’s free of just about everything and it’s high mineral content gives you gentle sun and free radical protection. It’s my secret to keeping my summer glow, even in winter! *must be applied with large cheek brush for best result. Dip, shake and dust.
And last but definitely not least, is Weleda’s Calendula Body Wash For Baby. You don’t have to have kids to buy this product! This is a best kept secret, it’s a baby body wash that I use on my body in the shower daily. It’s wonderful for skin that is sensitive, dry, itchy etc… This body wash is a silky, luxurious texture that is formulated with hand-picked Biodynamic calendula, it soothes dry winter skin, eczema, or if you just want to maintain healthy glowing skin all year long. Get rid of your pH stripping, hard, moisturizing soaps and give this wonderful healing body wash a whirl!
Well, there you have it, this is how I keep my glow in winter! Try one or all of these suggestions and you won’t be disappointed!
Happy and healthy New Year!
What do you do to your skin everyday? You probably cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, and protect. For me, a skincare devotee I believe beauty has evolved and doing what our mothers did is no longer good enough. After all 30’s are the new 20’s, 50’s are the new 40’s, and 70’s are the new 50’s! You no longer have to wait for your high school reunion. We are going global, everyone and their mother is on facebook, comparing how each other looks. Doing the bare minimum in the skincare world is no longer good enough. In the age of Botox injections, lasers, and plastic surgery, it seems hard to keep up. Today I’m here to talk about an evolving skincare routine. For myself I layer up with many products twice a day and I change my routine every 2-3 months, as I believe skin gets used to products and it’s efficacy plateaus. But I also customize my serums and creams on a daily basis since my skin may one day feel prone to breakouts where as the next it feels dry and dehydrated. Our skins are forever changing, depending on the cycles, seasonal, monthly, daily, etc. Therefore when I’m dedicated to creating my own serum mixture my skin looks the most radiant. My all time favorite serums are Complexe Iribiol for breakouts, Fluide VIP O2 and Silk Plus for hydration, and Infinite Radiance Essence for a Vitamin C boost. Winter is the toughest time of the year for our skin and we should all change our skincare routine with the season. Try to switch on and off with active ingredient products like Retinol or Vitamin C by Environ to AHA Creme from Biologique Recherche. These are the strongest anti-aging products I use. Yet swapping them for hydrating serums and a richer moisturizer from time to time allows the skin to regenerate and rebuild. Skincare should be fun, it’s like switching your wardrobe for the colder season. You’ll layer more, cover up more, and keep your look updated. Instead of flat, dull, and sallow skin opt for dewy, glowing, skin every winter day. My advice is to customize a haute couture skincare routine just for you!