As beauty editors, we get bombarded with a ton of new products every day (we know—tough life). Reviewed is a series where we report on some of the best products we’ve tried. Whether it’s a drugstore lipstick that lasted all day or a hand cream that saved us this winter, you’ll find all our favorites in this column. Enjoy!
“I Got the French Facial Every Beauty Editor Loves, and Now I Have Baby Skin” via Byrdie
Read the article here: http://www.byrdie.com/biologique-recherche-facial-rescue-spa
Biologique Recherche P50 ($98)
The way people get excited for the upcoming Game of Thrones season is the same way I get excited about Biologique Recherche. For years now, I’ve heard nothing but how this French skincare brand works miracles on skin. People I know who have used it have enviable dewy skin.
Some of my co-workers have already reviewed its hero product, the P50, which is supposed to balance your skin’s PH level, regulate oil production, brighten up dark spots, even out skin texture, and fight acne, but I had yet to try the magical toner myself. So when I heard that Rescue Spa was opening a few blocks from Byrdie HQ and offering a facial that incorporates Biologique Recherche products, I really didn’t have an excuse to not go and get one.
Rescue Spa, which is located in Flatiron, is a two-story spacious retreat with a chic aesthetic (high ceilings, white pillars, and a black, gray, and white color scheme) that caters to every single beauty need. Need a haircut? It has a hair salon. Need a manicure? It has a nail station. Need a message, wax, or facial? It has spa rooms on both floors. Need to restock on makeup or skincare products? It sells top beauty brands such as Valmont, Eve Lom, Kevyn Aucoin, and of course, Biologique Recherche. If a beauty heaven does exist, I believe it would look like Rescue Spa.
I met with Diana Yerkes, lead esthetician at Rescue Sap, for my Biologique Recherche facial. Apart from being extremely kind and gracious, Yerkes is very knowledgeable in how the skin works. (She also has an amazing complexion, which isn’t shocking, but you can’t help but stare and want the same for yourself.) She’s precise and methodical in her approach to skincare, teaching those same skills to the other estheticans at the spa so that you are great hands, no matter who you go see.
For an hour, she examined my skin—she was able to detect my love for cheese and ice cream just by looking at it—applied product, and thoroughly walked me through each step she was taking. She even decided to give me extractions—which isn’t normally included—because she saw that my congested skin needed it and believed it was her duty as an esthetician to give my skin the best possible treatment.
To start, she cleansed my skin with the Biologique Recherche’s Lait U, a milky oil-free cleanser that contains soothing ingredients like vitamin E and jojoba extract; it works as a great makeup remover as well. Next, she toned my skin with the classic and beloved P50 V 1970 (you can read about the different versions here), which contains lactic and salicylic acid to remove dead skin cells. She then mixed the brand’s Masque VIP 02 and the Masque Vivant together and applied them both to my face. The VIP 02 is more hydrating and filled with soothing botanicals; the Vivant contains cucumber and witch hazel to get rid of any impurities, which is perfect for my oily skin. She left it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off (when you do it yourself, you’ll notice an instant glow).
For a serum, she used Biologique Recherche Complexe Iribiol and theDermopore. The Complexe Iribiol is made with iris and zinc extracts, which tighten up large pores and are supposed to help with sebum production. The Dermopore is well-loved because it promises to reduce the size of your pores and even out your complexion.
For the bags under my eyes, she applied the Creme Contour Des Yeux VIP 02, which tightens and brightens with a potent combo of fatty acids and an “oxygenating complex.” To finish, she applied the rich moisturizer, Creme Dermopurifante. It’s made with antioxidants that protect your skin from environmental aggressors (hello, NYC smog) and also regulate oil production.
I noticed during the facial that the Biologique Recherche products aren’t exactly aromatic (the P50 has a pungent vinaigrette-smell—our editorial director called it “hot garbage”), but you quickly get over it after you feel how soft your skin is.
At the end, she wrote down every single product she used on me, along with instructions on how and when to use them. Two days later, she called to check up on me to see how I was liking my skin post-facial and if I had any questions since leaving.
It’s been about two weeks since my facial and I’m still getting compliments on my skin—and it’s all thanks to Dianna and Biologique Recherche. I’ve also been wearing way less makeup because my skin is just that smooth and bright. My pores are way less noticeable, and I haven’t had a breakout since the facial either.
If you’re ever in the Flatiron area, I highly recommend doing one of the many Biologique treatments, or at the very least just checking out the incredible space. Chances are this is where you’ll catch me after work.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition with no known cure. It is most common in people of Irish, Scandinavian, and Eastern European dissent. The most common symptoms of Rosacea are redness, small bumps or pimples on the face. It can also cause burning and a thickening of the skin. In some cases it can even effect the eyes. Its most common in women ages 30 and up. However men can suffer as well. Rosacea is NOT the same as acne but it can cause acneic breakouts.
So what can we do to control these symptoms?
The first line of defense is to get diagnosed by a dermatologist and see if you truly have Rosacea. My personal experience with Rosacea has been difficult and long. I under went treatment from a doctor and I still have prescriptions when needed. The most common treatments are oral antibiotics and topical treatments such as metronidazole, bimonidine and azelaic acid. As with all medications there are side effects and I have found other ways to treat my Rosacea. But in many cases combining prescriptions with proper skin care is key to controlling flare ups. I have found less is better when dealing with Rosacea. Growing up in a large Irish family I’ve seen first hand how horrible it can be if left untreated. My grandmother would say “its your Irish coming out” but as a young person I never understood what that meant. I do now and my goal is to keep the red away as much as possible. My skin has been my reason for becoming a Esthetician and it has given me the ability to manage my condition. There are no miracles or magic potions ( although P50 comes close ) but there are lots of options available.
Most effective treatments:
- IPL or Laser Treatments to help reduce skin redness and inflammation.
- Electrical Currents which help to increase circulation and stimulate collagen production. Collagen production you will help to alleviate and reduce most redness and inflammation in the skin.
- Microdermabrasion. I know it may seem harsh but it helps to facilitate new skin growth as well as stimulate lymph drainage.
Then of course there’s your home care routine. I have found many products to help with Rosacea but by far my most helpful has been the Biologique Recherché skin care line. They have botanical plant based ingredients that focus on balancing the skin. Their products are paraben free with no artificial fragrances.
My top choices of products are:
- Lait U: This cleanser is plant based with no fragrance and gentle enough for the most sensitive skin cleansing milk.
- P50 V 1970: this balancing lotion is loaded with exfoliating ingredients to slough off dead cells and stimulate skin growth. I personally started with the P50 V 1970 then eventually graduated to the original P50 1970 (the most effective formula). Acids have the most effect on Rosacea due to their balancing of the ph of the epidermis.
- At least once a week (after P50) I use Mask Vivant and Mask Vernix to balance and calm the skin. Pro Tip: I mix them for optimal results!
- Serums are my next choice due to their ability to penetrate deeper into the skin sans residue. My favorites are Amniotique E. for its soothing and hydrating properties, and Serum Erythros which helps to strengthen the capillaries with B vitamins.
- Daytime: Follow up with Emulsion Biosensible Gel S.R. which has hylarounic acid to hydrate and build collagen as well as regulate your sebum production.
Since excess sebum is the cause of breakouts associated with Rosacea this is ideal. Last but most important is SPF. My favorite is the Jan Marini SPF 33. This SPF is light in nature and is gentle enough to use around the eye area.
- Night: I opt for Environ C-Quence cream for bedtime. Vitamin C helps build collagen and diffuse redness. By adding vitamin C and vitamin A you will build new cells on a daily basis without the harshness of traditional retinol (vitamin A) products.
Things to avoid:
- The sun! Use SPF diligently to prevent damage and aggravation.
- Extreme temperatures. Hot and cold (PS always use lukewarm water on the face.)
- Avoiding alcohol helps, although it is NOT the cause of Rosacea.
- Spicy foods.
- Harsh products/scrubbing. These things will only inflame your blood vessels.
Of course there are more things that can trigger flare ups such as stress. I’ve found the best line of defense is to be consistent with treatments and home care. There may be no cure, but there is relief out there. Come to see me or any of our talented Estheticians who can help to make a treatment plan for your specific needs. I hope this was helpful to all my fellow Rosacea sufferers. I am living proof that there is a way to treat and balance your skin!
Esthetician ~ Connie Henry
Fall is the perfect time of year to focus on repairing post Summer sun damage, evening out the skin tone, and boosting hydration. Just as our wardrobe changes for the season our skin care regimen should as well. This means layering the appropriate serums, reaching for a richer moisturizer, and finding the time to mask.
- Cleanse. I spend my time between two of my favorite cities, Philadelphia and NYC, so Biologique Recherche’s Lait VIP O2 is a must-have as it has a special antipollution complex. This milky cleanser is great for all skin types. Hydrates the skin and brightens the complexion.
- Tone. At the moment I am alternating between Lotion P50 1970 (day) and Lotion P50 Pigm 400 (night).
- Mask. I love Masque Creme Biofixine because it is supremely hydrating and smoothing. It’s even incredible to treat the signs of aging around the eye area. Perfect for anyone 40+. For those under the age of 40, I highly recommend Bio Magic Mask. It has great lifting and pore tightening effects.
- Quintessential Serums. For those 40+ I recommend Amniotque E. and Colustrum.
For those under 40 I recommend Serum Dermopore and Extraits Tissulaires.
- Moisturize. Creme MSR-H is incredibly nourishing and provides phyto hormones from wild yam and soy extract which makes it the go-to cream for women 40+. For those under 40 I recommend Emulsion Originelle Regenerante.
**Night Treatments. Swap your usual night cream for Creme Aux Acides des Fruits for one month, every other month. This is a wonderful way to repair post summer sun damage and reset the skin. You can also try Serum Matriciel Visage + Creme Pigm 400 instead to simultaneously lift and brighten the skin.
- Finishing Serum(s) can be applied before or after your moisturizer. Serum Fluide VIP O2 is great for all skin types and ages. If you want to switch it up or add another layer to really seal in the hydration look to Le Grand (40+) or Silk Plus (under 40).
- Don’t forget to wear a broad spectrum SPF during the day, even in the Fall!
- If you are in NYC you can schedule a Biologique Recherche treatment such as Le Lift or Le Remodeling Face directly with me or any one of our talented estheticians. Rescue Spa offers the same treatments one would receive at the world famous Ambassade de la Beauté on the Champs-Élysées in Paris! ????????
It’s officially Fall which means that it is time for a refresh!
As your sun-kissed glow begins to dwindle the signs of sun damage may start to appear. It happens to the best of us, even those that wear SPF diligently. Unfortunately these tell-tale signs take form in unwanted or extra sun spots, hyperpigmentation, and dehydration.
Which makes this is the perfect time to schedule a restorative treatment to specifically target and repair sun damage. We recommend scheduling any one of our
Rescue Spa Signature Facials, always tailored to your needs.
No need to book a flight to experience these exceptional treatments, these are the same treatments offered at the world famous Ambassade de la Beauté on the Champs-Élysées in Paris.
Manicures and Pedicures
Stay on trend and choose any color of your choice from our incredible selection of polishes. You can also opt for Bioseaweed Gel, the healthy alternative to typical gel nails, for 2+ weeks of high shine, chip-free gel nails, sans UV light (we use LED).
There is nothing quite like a face-transforming magic of an eyebrow shaping with a pro. Allow our experienced hands to custom shape the perfect pair of brows for your face.
Fall is the ideal time for a hair refresh! Whether you are refreshing your color, cutting it short, adding some fringe, or simply playing with texture… this is the prime time to do it.
Our Fall 2017 palette is as gorgeous as ever. Our skilled makeup artists will enhance your features for a beautiful finish.
From no-makeup makeup … to all-out glam it’s entirely up to you.
NYC GRAND OPENING!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND, 9AM-9PM
Facials • Cuts • Color • Blowouts • Manicure • Pedicure • Makeup • Application • Threading • Laser Treatments
Four years after moving to its current digs, Rescue Spa has expanded its single-chair salon to a full-blown operation with a roster of new stylists. Note: This is one of the only salons in town offering the cult-favorite Okara oil color treatment, which protects and preserves color-treated locks.
1601 Walnut Street, third floor, Rittenhouse.
*As seen in Philadelphia Magazine, September 2017 issue
For many years, New York clients have begged owner Danuta Mieloch to open a second location. “I wanted to find a neighborhood that is central, thriving, and blossoming. While enjoying lunch across the street at ABC, I spotted this storefront and knew I had to find a way to make it happen,” Danuta explains of her choice of locale. She set out to create a beauty sanctuary and haven, where New Yorkers could embrace the Rescue Spa philosophy and enjoy the timeless luxury and refinement of her award-winning day spa. The luminous, serene space will encourage clients to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city and care for themselves from the inside out.